Thursday, June 24, 2010 | By: Jenn

.018. enchilada

I didn't get to make my Shrimp Fried Rice last night because the shrimp had been in the fridge too long. So, it had to go in the garbage. Tonight, I made Enchilada Casserole. I have to admit, I've done better. I think I need to tweek this recipe. Overall, it's a good recipe; however, I think I should substitute the enchilada sauce for Mexican style stewed tomatoes. The enchilada sauce had a funny taste to me. Michael seemed to like it though. I did add ground beef to the recipe because we're not vegetarians over here!

Here it is! It sure looks yummier than it tasted. Maybe I'll have to tweek the recipe and then post a new picture. 

I'm going to post the recipe, as is, from the cookbook. I'm taking it from the Miracle Foods Weight Watchers cookbook.

Enchilada Casserole

Cooking Spray
1 (10 ounce) package frozen southwestern style corn and roasted red peppers, thawed
1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon salt
1 (15 ounce) can red enchilada sauce, divided
13 corn tortillas, cut in half
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream

1. Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high head until hot.{This is where I added onions and ground beef} Add corn mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Add black beans and salt; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.

2. Spoon 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over bottom of 13 x 9 inch baking dish; spread evenly. Arrange 8 tortilla halves over sauce. Spoon half of corn mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layer with 8 tortilla halves, remaining corn mixture, and 1/3 cup cheese. Top with remaining 10 tortilla halves. Cover with remaining enchilada sauce and remaining cheese.

3. Cover and back at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and back 5 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.

Let me know if you try it. I'd love to know your opinion on this recipe. I think it's a great idea, just needs a little work on the implementation. 

Til tomorrow...

This is my summer life!

0 comments:

Post a Comment